WASHINGTON — The tally is in: The Federal Emergency Management Agency said Thursday it provided $19.6 billion to Louisiana to rebuild and protect property against future storms in the eight years since hurricanesKatrina and Rita struck Louisiana.
“In the last eight years, we have funded one of the most significant comebacks in the history of natural disasters,” said FEMA’s Louisiana Recovery Office Executive Director Mike Womack.
Since Hurricane Isaac struck, one year ago Thursday, the federal government, not just FEMA, provided Louisiana with $262.1 million for over 1,000 projects, and another $138.4 million in individual assistance, including emergency housing, replacement food and appliances, according to the office of Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La.
“Many remember when Hurricane Katrina roared ashore and the federal levee system failed, killing 1,800 people,” Landrieu said. “And last year, in an unfortunate and cruel twist of irony, Hurricane Isaac cut a swath of destruction in Louisiana and killed nine people just seven years after Hurricane Katrina. During and after these storms, we have learned that our country still has a long way to go to better prepare, respond and recover from disasters.”
To read this article in its entirety visit the Times-Picayune.