TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — A December 2012 sexual battery investigation involving Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston came to a halt when the complainant decided she did not want to press charges, an e-mail sent Nov. 12 by City Manager Anita Favors Thompson to City Commissioners said. The Tallahassee Democrat obtained the e-mail Tuesday.
The case became active again last week, following media requests which prompted a review by the city’s legal department and ultimately the State Attorney’s office.
In the e-mail, Favors Thompson said the Tallahassee Police Department followed up on the case referred to it by Florida State University police “against FSU football player Jameis Winston” by a woman who indicated she was intoxicated at a local bar and was taken advantage of while impaired. TPD initiated an investigation and began to interview witnesses and compile details on the case, but stopped getting responses from the woman and could no longer contact her.
“Shortly thereafter a representative of the young woman’s family who is an attorney contacted TPD and said the young woman had changed her mind and did not wish to prosecute,” the e-mail said.
To read this article in its entirety visit the USA Today.