Washington — General Motors Co. said Monday it is recalling more than 1.7 million vehicles worldwide in three new campaigns as it takes a $300 million charge to address the costs of repairs for the three new recalls and a recent recall linked to 12 deaths and 31 crashes.
GM said the new recalls stem from CEO Mary Barra’s request for a “comprehensive safety review” following last month’s ignition switch recall. Barra, in a message to employees Monday, said the process in which GM decides and how it manages recalls will change.
“Something went wrong with our process in this instance and terrible things happened,” she said in the video message released by GM Monday. “As a member of the GM family and as a mom with a family of my own, this really hits home for me.”
GM now is recalling 1.3 million SUVs worldwide to repair the wire harness of seat-mounted side air bags. GM is calling back some 2008-09 and all 2010-13 Buick Enclaves and GMC Acadias, some 2009 and all 2010-13 Chevrolet Traverse models, and some 2008-09 and all 2010 Saturn Outlook SUVs, including 1.18 million in the United States.
To read this article in its entirety visit The Detroit News.