Source: AP / CBS News
ABUJA, Nigeria — A Nigerian government official said “all options are open” in efforts to rescue almost 300 abducted schoolgirls from their Islamic extremist captors as U.S. surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft started flying over the West African country.
Boko Haram, the militant group that is holding some 276 female students it kidnapped last month from a boarding school in northeast Nigeria, said the girls will only be freed after the government releases jailed militants.
On Monday, for the first time, their kidnappers put out video of the girls. Asked how the Nigerian government would respond to the video, Interior Minister Moro Abba told CBS News the government does not negotiate with terrorists. But he also said a process of dialogue continues. So they haven’t closed the door on negotiating a release.
Mike Omeri, the director of the government’s information agency, called the National Orientation Agency, said the government will “use whatever kind of action” it takes to free the girls. He also warned that a military operation, with foreign help, was possible.
To read this article in its entirety visit CBS News.