• The Justice Department is preparing to investigate and sue colleges and universities over their admissions policies that they believe discriminate against whites, according to a stunning report in the New York Times.
• Black lawmakers in Maryland say the state is locking African Americans out of the medical marijuana business.
Maryland’s Legislative Black Caucus wants the state to increase the number of licenses it issues to grow marijuana, noting that none of the 15 that were awarded last year went to Black-owned companies.
• A New York City police officer guns down a mentally ill black man for the second time in less than a year. This time, with fatal results.
Family and friends of 32-year-old Dwayne Jeune, a mentally ill man who was fatally shot by a New York City police officer are questioning whether his death could have been avoided.
• In Illinois, lawmakers are racing against the clock to put together a plan to fund schools or they won’t open in time for the school year. Republican Governor Bruce Rauner vetoed a school funding bill that he claims gave too much money to Chicago.
• North Carolina officials have just one month to draw up new legislative-district boundaries to address racial discrimination. The order comes after three federal judges ruled the current boundaries drawn by Republicans diminish the political leverage of Black voters
• The NAACP has issued a travel advisory for the state of Missouri, saying people of color are not safe in the state. The advisory is in response to a recent bill that makes it more difficult to prove discrimination in housing and the workplace.
• Tens of thousands of former felons now have the right to vote in Alabama, but they may never know about it. A federal judge ruled the state does not have to notify anyone about the changes.
• Delphine Metcalf-Foster was elected as the National Commander of the Disabled American Veterans, she is the first woman and first African American to hold the post.
• Erica Campbell one-half of the gospel super duo Mary Mary recently stopped by NewsOne Now for a sit-down interview with Roland Martin. During their chat, Martin and Campbell discussed her new single “Well Done,” her radio show “Get Up Mornings with Erica Campbell” and adjusting to life as a solo artist.
All that and more in this edition of the NewsOne Now Audio Podcast