• Houston orders evacuation days after officials told people they could stay. There seems to be no relief in sight as the rain continues to fall and is not expected to subside until later this week.
The death toll has climbed to 10, more than 30 inches of rain has fallen Houston since Thursday, nearly 450,000 seek federal aid, 30,000 seek shelter while many are being evacuated to East Texas and Southwest Louisiana.
• 3,000 interfaith leaders made their way from the MLK Memorial to the Department of Justice to call out the same sorts of injustices Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and others spoke of on August 28th, 1963 during the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.
• President Trump has reversed the President Obama era policy that banned the transfer of some surplus military equipment to police departments in the wake of the 2014 killing of Mike Brown in Ferguson.
AG Jeff Sessions recently said the military gear is needed and that 45’s executive order would send a strong message that violence and lawlessness would not be allowed to become a new normal.
• A new study revealed that the Affordable Care Act #ACA helped to narrow health disparities between minorities and their white counterparts. Despite the healthcare progress made by the Affordable Care Act Blacks and Hispanics are still less likely to get the medical care they need.
• A charter school principal in Florida has come under fire for racist posts on social media. Charter Schools USA says it is now investigating of Facebook posts of Duval Charter School Principal Kimberly Stidham.
• Civil rights activists in Arizona are calling for the dismissal of a Black professor at Grand Canyon University over his remarks about Black Lives Matter. Professor Toby Jenkins said that some Black Lives Matter protesters “should be hung.”
• Black Enterprise kicks off its inaugural “Black Men Excel” summit starting on Wednesday. The summit is scheduled to last until Sunday. The Black Men Excel summit will include a series of workshops and seminars that will focus on health, finance, and business. The summit will also include live shows, comedy shows, and a golf tournament.
• Today’s #HBCUGivingDay school is Bishop State Community College @BishopState. To donate visit www.bishop.edu. Donate TODAY!
All that and more in this edition of the NewsOne Now Audio Podcast