• Hurricane Irma, which is now a category one storm, is still a major threat as it moves up the Gulf Coast in Florida and turns to target Georgia, Alabama and other states.
• Irma swept through the Caribbean leaving at least 25 dead in the Caribbean. An unusual sight also emerged in parts of the Caribbean and Florida as a result of the massive storm. A number of beaches have been dried leaving the land once covered by water exposed.
• Weather Channel meteorologist Paul Goodloe discussed #HurricaneIrma’s impact on the Caribbean, the U.S. as well as where the massive storm is going during a NewsOne Now / TJMS simulcast.
• Since the 9/11 terror attacks the U.S. has gone through major national security changes in an attempt to avoid another attack on the American homeland, but are we safe? Lt. General John Morgan, the retired Former Commander of the 2nd Infantry Divison in Korea spoke with Roland Martin during Monday’s edition of NewsOne Now about the war on terror.
• After striking a deal with Democratic leaders Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi last week, Republicans are furious and Democrats are suspicious. Trump used to be a Democrat and a fan of Hillary Clinton. Once again people are wondering: Who is this guy sitting in the White House, is he a Republican, Democrat or Independent?
• Texas A&M and law enforcement officials are investigating after football coach Kevin Sumlin received a racist, threatening letter after Sumlin’s team blew a 34-point third quarter lead to UCLA.
• Police in New York City have launched a hate crime investigation after a union representative for the New York Fire Department received a threatening letter saying there’s nothing better than a “dead n-word.”
• An 8-year-old New Hampshire boy was nearly hang by teens last month. Some are calling the incident a near lynching.
The boy’s grandmother says he and a group of older children were in a backyard in Claremont when the teens stood on a picnic table a rope was placed around the 8-year-old’s neck and he was intentionally pushed off of the table.
• The National Action Network is calling for the cancellation of Kid Rock’s upcoming concerts in Detroit.
The possible Senate candidate referenced Colin Kaepernick taking the knee during the national anthem and Black Lives Matter – saying “Call me a racist because I’m not politically correct” He also addressed white supremacists – calling them a-holes and telling them to stay the “f” away.
• Dr. Willie Jolley and Dee Taylor Jolley have been married for over 32 years, but they have not had an argument in 30 of those years.
How do they work together, play together and still stay together for so long? The answers are in their new book “Make Love, Make Money, Make it Last: 10 Secrets to Shape a Great Marriage”.
All that and more in this edition of the NewsOne Now Audio Podcast